It's About Time

If you have ever spent more that 5 minutes with me, it is fairly obvious that I love fitness. I have learned so much (sometimes the hard way) in the 30 years that I have been teaching. What better way to share my passion than to start a blog and pass on the information that I share with clients on a day-to-day basis.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How to beat these winter blues?



I happen to know this model.  Success story-She exercises now and is much happier.  Giggles.

Does our run of cold weather just want to make you go crazy and pull your hair out?  I know that spring is right round the corner, daylight savings is telling me so but I still feel cold.  I need a change to improve my mood and my workouts until I can get out side or see the sun on a regular basis.  

"If you are debilitated in the winter months in a way that seriously impacts the quality of your life, you may suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD).  Winter depression, as it is also called, is biochemical in nature, brought on my the lack of sunshine."

Exercise is a proven way to improve your mood.  Try some of these ideas to help you fight the funk you are in. 

  • Embrace the Season-Try and do an activity like snow shoeing, cross country skiing, skating and so on.  I know the snow is melting but there are still plenty of places to play in it.  We still have kids sledding down the big hill by our house.  Running back up the hill is a great form of cardiovascular exercise.  Here in Utah if the air quality is good, then bundle up and get out and enjoy the fresh air, no matter what the weather.
  • Swim-The pool is “Heated.”  Enjoy the warmth and still get your exercise in.  You don’t have to be a swimmer to enjoy this exercise change.  I’m a sinker not a swimmer but I can still get a great workout in the water. 
  • Running club-Join a running group or class.  Yes, you may be indoors at first but there will come a time when you can be outside.  I have a new running group starting this week and a lot of the time will be spent learning how to be a more efficient runner and improving your running  know-how. Find a fun race  that you can do together and work towards that fun event.
  • Treat yourself-Set some goals for yourself.  Once you reach those goals reward yourself with a new outfit, massage, or facial.  You deserve and it and it will be the boost you need to keep going.
  • Join a gym or get a trainer-If you can’t motivate yourself to keep going or beat the poor workout mood, then let a new class or your trainer motivate you.  They are there to motivate you but also push you to reach your goals.
  • Birkram Yoga-If you have tried all of the above activities and still need  some cheering up, then jump into this hot yoga class.  You won't have any problem warming up and you will feel much better both physically and mentally when you're done.



Let’s beat these blues together.

No comments:

Post a Comment