It's About Time

If you have ever spent more that 5 minutes with me, it is fairly obvious that I love fitness. I have learned so much (sometimes the hard way) in the 30 years that I have been teaching. What better way to share my passion than to start a blog and pass on the information that I share with clients on a day-to-day basis.

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Mummies can testify that you should take care of your body.

Add caption
I have mentioned before that I am an archaeology nerd.  For my birthday this year my mom bought me tickets to go see MUMMIES OF THE WORLD on exhibit at the Leonardo Museum in Salt Lake City, UT.  It was amazing.  Of course the Egyptian mummies were so cool but I was amazed at the Peruvian, Hungarian, and German mummies as well.

You  are probably asking yourself, what does my exercise blog have to do with mummies?  I'll tell you.  With  advanced technology such as CT scans, medical imaging and sterolithography we have today we can find out what kind of life style these people led and also what caused their death.  Many lived a very short and hard life.  Exercise was a matter of survival.  They had no choice as to "should I exercise or not today?" or "Where should I go out to eat?"  We do have choices and those choices have a great affect on our health and longevity.

I am so grateful that I have the ability and the opportunity to exercise.  I am grateful for modern science and medicine that enables me and others to live for longer lengths of time.  I am grateful that injuries haven't crippled me and doctors who know how to help fix and correct issues.  I glad to know how to rehab and correct problems.  I am also grateful for the opportunity to view these mummies and appreciate the life that I have and also the era I'm living in.

It is an amazing exhibit.  You should go.  You should also exercise.  I just had to get that in.
Michael Orlovits. His family was discovered with over 265 other mummies in a church crypt in Vac, Hungary.  Construction in 1994 led to the re-opening of the crypt, which had been sealed since 1838.  His son is next to him.  They all suffered from Tuberculosis. 

1 comment:

  1. lol love the, "and you should exercise" part! Very cool thing to put in there, Lisa! I like it.

    ReplyDelete