9 Surprising Foods With More Sugar Than a Krispy Kreme Doughnut
A new report finds that some supposedly healthy foods are actually laden with sugar.
| Fri Sep. 13, 2013 8:41 AM PDT
· It's Friday! After a long week of work, you're probably ready to curl up on the couch with a big box of doughnuts. But having read Gary Taubes' expose in Mother Jones on the sugar industry's terrifying campaign to convince the American public that sugar won't kill you, maybe you'll reach for a "healthier" option instead—like a green Odwalla "Super Food" smoothie.
Not so fast. According to a new report by Credit Suisse, you might be better off eating a doughnut than some of the stuff marketed as healthy. Here are nine surprising foods that have more sugar than a Krispy Kreme doughnut, which, at 10 grams, seems saintly in comparison:
1. LUNA BAR: 11 GRAMS
2. GRANDE STARBUCKS LATTE: 17 GRAMS
3. SUBWAY 6" SWEET ONION TERIYAKI CHICKEN SANDWICH: 17 GRAMS
4. 8 OZ TROPICANA 100% ORANGE JUICE: 22 GRAMS
5. YOPLAIT ORIGINAL YOGURT: 27 GRAMS
6. 20 OZ VITAMIN WATER: 33 GRAMS
7. SPRINKLES RED VELVET CUPCAKE: 45 GRAMS
8. CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN THAI CHICKEN SALAD: 45 GRAMS
9. ODWALLA SUPER FOOD SMOOTHIE (12 OZ): 50 GRAMS