Some might think making friends at a fitness club may be hard or even kind of creepy but I can't think of a better place. You are all going there because you have the same goals-health and fitness. You struggle with the same scheduling issues when it comes to getting to the gym. You have the same passions like running, spinning or dancing. A couple of weeks ago an older gentleman at the club had to go in for emergency surgery on his heart. He was a long-time member and once people heard, everyone was so concerned. A card and well wishes spread very quickly. Yesterday was his first day back. I happened to be on the treadmill when he walked in doing a killer interval class. I know people cry on the treadmill and I was tearing up. It wasn't because it was hard, it was because I saw everyone stop what they were doing to rush over and welcome back their friend. It was so touching. I have met some of my best friends at a Gym. Once those friendships are forged, you help each other to become healthier and I think happier.
- Friends motivate each other to keep coming. Some days it is just tough to fit in exercise.
- Friends support each other.
- Friends encourage each other when the class is hard. You can both whine to each other while you finish.
- Friends schedule their workouts together so they can exercise and visit. I love running and talking. It distracts me and make the time go by faster.
- Friends listen to each other when they are going through tough times. Your workout can be very cathartic.
- Friends offer nice competition. You can push each other to be better.
- Friends make it hard to cancel or just not do your workout. You don't want to let them down.
- Friends share their successes, their injury issues and killer workout stories. We can all learn from each other.
I am so thankful for all my workout friends. You have definitely helped me keep my passion for fitness.