It's About Time

If you have ever spent more that 5 minutes with me, it is fairly obvious that I love fitness. I have learned so much (sometimes the hard way) in the 30 years that I have been teaching. What better way to share my passion than to start a blog and pass on the information that I share with clients on a day-to-day basis.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Forging Friendships at the Gym

Add caption

Some might think making friends at a fitness club may be hard or even kind of creepy but I can't think of a better place.  You are all going there because you have the same goals-health and fitness.  You struggle with the same scheduling issues when it comes to getting to the gym.  You have the same passions like running, spinning or dancing.   A couple of weeks ago an older gentleman at the club had to go in for emergency surgery on his heart.  He was a long-time member and once people heard, everyone was so concerned.  A card and well wishes spread very quickly.  Yesterday was his first day back.  I happened to be on the treadmill when he walked in doing a killer interval class.   I know people cry on the treadmill and I was tearing up.  It wasn't because it was hard, it was because I saw everyone stop what they were doing to rush over and welcome back their friend.  It was so touching.   I have met some of my best friends at a Gym.  Once those friendships are forged, you help each other to become healthier and I think happier.

  • Friends motivate each other to keep coming.  Some days it is just tough to fit in exercise.
  • Friends support each other.
  • Friends encourage each other when the class is hard.  You can both whine to each other while you finish.
  • Friends schedule their workouts together so they can exercise and visit.  I love running and talking.  It distracts me and make the time go by faster.  
  • Friends listen to each other when they are going through tough times.  Your workout can be very cathartic.
  • Friends offer nice competition.  You can push each other to be better.
  • Friends make it hard to cancel or just not do your workout.  You don't want to let them down.
  • Friends share their successes, their injury issues and killer workout stories.  We can all learn from each other.
I am so thankful for all my workout friends.  You have definitely helped me keep my passion for fitness.  


No comments:

Post a Comment