It's About Time

If you have ever spent more that 5 minutes with me, it is fairly obvious that I love fitness. I have learned so much (sometimes the hard way) in the 30 years that I have been teaching. What better way to share my passion than to start a blog and pass on the information that I share with clients on a day-to-day basis.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Timpanogos Cave-Spectacular Hike


My husband and I had the opportunity to hike to a popular cave system in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah.  The caves are amazing.  I'm not a big fan of dark, cramped and closed-in places but these caves and their history were incredible.  The Timpanogos Cave is the most famous of this system.  The hiking part was fun.  It is 1.5 miles up with a vertical rise of 1092 feet.  You then shimmy through a cave system and then hike your way back down.  The caves were actually discovered starting in 1887 by Martin Hansen.  I don't know how he ever scaled the cliffs to find the small opening of the first cave but he did.  His son and grandson later found other caves.  Here are a few pics.  I want you to try and enjoy the beauty that I did.  Too bad I can't let you enjoy the fitness aspect of the hike as well.
Ready to begin our weekend hike.

Saw my first rattlesnake.  My zoom hasn't worked since I dropped it in the sand and I wasn't about to lean in closer to get a better shot.  Yikes.  I hate snakes.




Ceiling of one of the caves.

This was called the Heart of the cave


This was the original hole used to access the caves.

No comments:

Post a Comment