It's About Time

If you have ever spent more that 5 minutes with me, it is fairly obvious that I love fitness. I have learned so much (sometimes the hard way) in the 30 years that I have been teaching. What better way to share my passion than to start a blog and pass on the information that I share with clients on a day-to-day basis.

Friday, June 17, 2011

YUM-Healthy Recipe

Proper nutrition plays a big part in our health plan.  While checking out one of my favorite cooking sites http://www.ourbestbites.com/ I came across this recipe.  It is loaded with nutrient rich ingredients.  The two main ones in this recipe are Quinoa and Edamame beans.  You are probably asking Quin-what? and Ede-who?  It hasn't been until the past few years that I have really tried to incorporate them more into my diet.  Protein is important for muscle regeneration and many don't love to eat meat.  This recipe is full of protein rich alternatives.

Quinoa is a recently rediscovered ancient "grain" native to South America. It was once called "the gold of the Incas," who recognized its value in increasing the stamina of their warriors. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.

Edamame is just a fancy name for boiled green soybeans and they are much yummier than they sound.  Edamame is a star legume! Just 1/2 cup of them a day really punches up the fiber, protein and vitamin/mineral content of your diet. 
Enjoy this recipe.  It is wonderful.  Thanks to "Our Best Bites."

The recipe called for black Quinoa,  I used red.  I buy white at Costco.  It all tastes the same.



Quinoa Edamame Salad
Posted By Kate @ Our Best Bites On 06.14.2011 @ 10:12 pm


No comments:

Post a Comment