It's About Time

If you have ever spent more that 5 minutes with me, it is fairly obvious that I love fitness. I have learned so much (sometimes the hard way) in the 30 years that I have been teaching. What better way to share my passion than to start a blog and pass on the information that I share with clients on a day-to-day basis.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Mango Quinoa Salad

Is there a support group out there for people who can't stop eating Quinoa?  If there is, I need to join.  I just love it and its great nutritional value makes it that much more enjoyable to eat.  I volunteered to take dinner to a friend who has had surgery.  I thought this yummy salad would be perfect so I made a double batch.  Just one problem.  I'm not supposed to drop by her dinner until next Friday.  Oh well,  now there is twice as much Mango Quinoa salad for me to eat.  Not a bad thing if you are obssessed with the stuff.  Enjoy.


Mango Quinoa Salad
Recipe adapted from Ali Vincent
2 cups cooked quinoa* at room temperature, or chilled
1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 handful chopped cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
*Quinoa can be cooked in water or broth.  I suggest using vegetable or chicken broth for enhanced flavor, but plain water works great too.
Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl.  Add mango, red pepper, green onion, black beans, and cilantro.  In a small bowl combine vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice.  Whisk until smooth and pour on top of salad.  Toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill for at least one hour before serving.


Thanks to OurBestBites.Com

1 comment:

  1. Chantel made this last night and it was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. I need to try and make it.

    ReplyDelete